Wednesday, September 1, 2010

~~~Emily Dickinson A-Poem-A-Day~~"Summer for thee, grant I may be"31/1775~~~+++


Version 1
Summer for thee, grant I may be
When Summer days are flown!
Thy music still, when Whippowil
And Oriole - are done!

For thee to bloom, I'll skip the tomb
And row my blossoms o'er!
Pray gather me -
Anemone -
Thy flower - forevermore!

[edit] Version 2
Summer for thee, grant I may be
When Summer days are flown!
Thy music still, when Whipporwill
And Oriole — are done!

For thee to bloom, I'll skip the tomb
And row my blossoms o'er!
Pray gather me —
Anemone —
Thy flower — forevermore!

How does life imitate art? How? How? Very much how. How now brown cow. This is fun! Yes poetry is fun and intrinsic and has a certain "affinity". Definitely! Hopefully.

For me today this wonderful poem of summer reminds me of summer almost come to a close. Sad but true. And I have this feeling that; did I get to see a Whippoorwill again this year or even hear one and I have to say, sadly, no.

Yet this doesnt meant that I will never get to see the elusive Whippoorwill or hear him again like I did years ago in the 60's. Every morning and every evening I would hear the wonderful sound telling me to get up or go to bed. The bird was like an alarm clock. As the sun rose (6am) and as the sunset 9pm in the summer the bird would sound "Whip poor Will, Whip poor Will".

After having such an affinity for the dear Whipoorwill, I thought I'd look up the Whipoorwill to see what he or she looks like! They are cute! And so camoflaged they look like leaves. No wonder I never ever saw one although I use to live in the woods around Allenwood Beach, Ontario. Those were the days!

I guess the closet thing to the Whippoorwill songs that I miss (even though I live fairly close to their natural habitat) is the Mourning Dove. The sad lonely lament of the Mourning Dove Coo Coo. Really sad and mournful. But I still love the way how the doves mate for life and always are together. It is so romantic! The bird family is so romantic! How wonderful is that! (Very!).

Emily does remind me of the natural habitat, of being a "birder" loving to watch birds. Reminds me of another antidote. Recently, well about a year or so ago I was watching these most amazing birds that looked like eagles dancing around the sun. We were worried for our dogs these birds were that big!

After viewing the birds through a trusty set of binoculars I noticed something! "These aren't regal eagles!" These are ugly turkey vultures!".

After that I just thought, Oh great! Turkey vultures, although they do fly well, it just is not the same thing. They are not the majestic bald eagle or the amazing golden eagle.

I got the same feeling lately when looking at the Flight of the Condor. The worlds largest bird. Although they are certainly majestic with what a ten foot wing span or larger, these birds are like turkey vultures; ugly.

If only the vulture birds could get a face lift and look majestic my life would get better!

Hope you enjoyed Emily's poem today. I know I did. Still hoping to live with the eagles one day and not the turkey vultures. Unless they start looking regal, I am going with the eagles! Plus the turkey vultures like carion, eat crap and look like shit. What else is new! Shocking! hehe!Iyes this is a less "clinical" approach to Emily's work I hope you like it! Or would you rather have your druthers that I go back to the technical dissection of Miss Emily (poems that is!). HeHe!

jj

Chiccoreal attempting to Channel the late great Emily Dickinson!

Summers Gone ~ I'm Done

Like a lily on my chest
I'm done
Like dinner
the old Whippoorwill left me
before he left for who knows where
And Dont forget the Orange Orioles
From Baltimore!
Guess there going to where the sun stays
Warm and Sunny
And Holy Molly
Goodbye Birdies
Am I Gonna Die
Then I'll just "transition!" into winter!
(remember I'm not here I'm a Transcendentalist now!)
Sung to the tune From Mary Poppins ~~~"Feed the birds tuppence a bag"
When Summer's Done For Good!

jj

No comments:

Post a Comment